Professor and Physician-Executive David Edward Marcinko MBBS DPM FACFAS MBA MEd BSc CMP® is an internationally known lower extremity reconstructive and trauma surgeon, public and population health educator, entrepreneur, researcher, speaker, best selling author and philanthropist from Loyola University in Baltimore MD; Temple University in Philadelphia and the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center in PA; Oglethorpe University in GA, Emory University Hospital, the Atlanta Hospital & Medical Center; and Marianne University City Hospital [Universitätsklinikum] in Aachen-Koln, Germany.
Professor Marcinko is past Editor-in-Chief of the prestigious Journal of Health Care Finance, and a former Certified Financial Planner® who was named “Health Economist of the Year“ in 2010 by PM Magazine.
ACADEMIC [Theoretical] & CLINICAL [Applied] TEACHING POSITIONS [2017-1990]
- Eminent Scholar-in-Residence: On-Sabbatical for iMBA, Inc; Atlanta, GA 
- LV Hackley Endowed Chair and Distinguished Professor of Capitalism and Free Market Economics [appointed] School of Business & Economics, University of North Carolina; UNC 
- Visiting Distinguished Professor-of-the-Practice: Physician-Nexus Entrepreneurial Advisory Board, San Jose – Silicon Valley – CA [2013-2015]
- Visiting Scholar-in-Residence: Department of Health Economics and Financial Management: Rushmore University 
- Chairman and Professor:Medical Innovation and Entrepreneurship–Midtown Hospital, Atlanta, GA
- Endowed Chair: Department of Public and Population Health Policy and Administration; Atlanta Hospital and Medical Center.
- Chairman: Department of Health Care Administration, Policy and Management; Vencor Hospital, GA.
- Distinguished Professor: Health Economics, Finance and Entrepreneurship; Atlanta Hospital and Medical Center.
- Professor: Reconstructive & Lower Extremity Trauma Surgery; Atlanta Hospital, GA.
- Physician Executive-in-Residence: Reconstructive & Lower Extremity Trauma Surgery; Atlanta Hospital, GA.
- Visiting Instructor: Health Economics: Northlake Regional Medical Center, GA.
- Associate Professor: Healthcare Finance and Management; Atlanta Regional Diabetes Center.
- Assistant Professor: Healthcare Practice and Medical Business Management; Atlanta Regional Diabetes Medical Center.
Traditional On-Ground [Medical]: Rosalind Franklin University, Temple University School of Medicine and Dentistry, Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine and Nursing, New York College of Podiatric Medicine, Illinois College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, California College of Podiatric Medicine; and the Barry University School of Medicine.
Online [Business and Management]: University of Phoenix, DeVry University, Capella University, Regents University, Strayer University and Rushmore University [MBA and PhD mentor].
As Founding CEO of the Institute of Medical Business Advisors Inc., [2002-2015] – a leading North American healthcare consulting firm and provider of textbooks, tools, templates and onsite education for the economics, administration and financial management policy space – Dr. Marcinko left the firm securely positioned for the global marketplace to meet the needs of clients and corporate customers with offices in five states and Europe.
Education Society Memberships and Certifications
A nationally recognized leader in physician-integration, business management and financial information services, Dr. Marcinko is a pioneer entrepreneur utilizing technology to improve quality education while simultaneously reducing delivery costs, with current or former memberships in:
- American Society of Health Economists (ASHE)
- International Health Economics Association (iHEA)
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
- American Board of Foot and Ankle Reconstructive Surgeons
- Microsoft Professional Accountant’s Network (MPAN)
- US Microsoft Partner’s Program (MPP)
- Microsoft Health User’s Group (MS-HUG)
- American Management Association [AMA]
- Sun Executive Boardroom program sponsored by CEO Jonathan Schwartz
- Healthcare Informatics Executive Panel [HIE]
- SUNSHINE [Solutions Healthcare Information, Networking and Education]; an IT society of HIMSS and Sun Microsystems (NASD-SUNW).
- American Medical Writers Association [AMWA]
Author / Editor:
Dr. Marcinko is author and editor of more than 400 published papers in peer reviewed medical, business, management, economics and trade publications [AMA, APMA, AAOS, Physicians Practice, Investment Advisor, Physician’s Money Digest and MD News, etc]. He has 135+ international presentations to his credit; including the 10 biggest pharmaceutical companies and financial services firms in the nation.
He is a best-selling Amazon author with 30 published academic text books, and CD-ROMs, in four languages [National Institute of Health, Library of Congress and Library of Medicine]. His thought leadership essays have been cited in journals, by public and private companies, professional organizations, colleges and universities, and by many academic institutions with numerous primary-secondary reviewing roles.
Business “Start-Up” Competitions:
Dr. Marcinko has been involved in entrepreneurial business start-up competitions for the Martin J. Whitman School of Management at Syracuse University; the Georgia State University, Emory University, IXL Inc, and the Georgia Institute of Technology; and as inaugural Healthcare Practice Leader for Deloitte and Touche Consulting in Atlanta GA.
Wall Street and the Financial Services Sector:
A former CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER®, Licensed Insurance Agent, Licensed and Registered Investment Advisor [RIA] and Securities Exchange Commission [SEC] registered endowment fund manager, Dr. Marcinko is the Founding Dean of the fiduciary focused CERTIFIED MEDICAL PLANNER® chartered designation education program; as well as Editor of the print and WIKI online HEALTH DICTIONARY SERIES®. His professional memberships include: American Society of Health Economists (ASHE); International Health Economics Association (iHEA); American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA); Microsoft Health User’s Group [MS-HUG]; American Management Association [AMA]; American Medical Writers Association [AMWA], and the Free Market Medical Association [FMMA].
Dr. Marcinko earned Series #7 (general securities), Series #63 (uniform securities state law), and Series #65 (investment advisory) licenses from the National Association of Securities Dealers (NASD-FINRA), and the Securities Exchange Commission [SEC] with a life, health, disability, variable annuity and property-casualty license from the State of Georgia.
Prior academic and medical faculty appointments include:
- President Medical Staff: Atlanta Hospital and Medical Center, GA.
- Chairman: Department of Surgery; Vencor Hospital, GA.
- Dean Medical Residency Program: Vencor Hospital, GA.
- Chief Surgical Residency Program: Atlanta Hospital and Medical Center, GA.
Dr. Marcinko was co-founder of an Ambulatory Surgery Center [ASC] that was sold to a public company; CEO of an website merged with private hedge fund; a Certified Physician in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ); a certified American Board of Quality Assurance and Utilization Review Physician (ABQAURP); a medical-staff vice president of an acute care general hospital; an assistant residency director; a founder of a Computer-Based Testing [CBT] firm for doctors; the Chief Visionary Officer of a national Competitive Local Exchange Carrier [CLEC]; and president of a regional Physician Practice Management Corporation in the Midwest. As president of the PPMC, in 2000, he consolidated 95 multi-state medical practices with $150 million in revenues seeking an IPO trade listing on Wall Street, NY.
Domestic former hospital affiliations and staff privilege appointments include:
- Doctors Hospital, Tucker, GA
- Martin Army [VA] Hospital, Columbus, GA
- Atlanta Hospital and Medical Center, Atlanta, GA
- Atlanta Hospital and Regional Diabetes Center, GA
- Northlake Regional Medical Center, Tucker, GA
- DeKalb Regional Medical Center, Atlanta, GA
- Windy Hill Hospital, Marietta, GA
- Georgia Baptist Hospital, GA
- Crawford Long Hospital, Atlanta, GA
- Emory Hospital at Northlake, Tucker, GA
- Kennestone Hospital, Marietta, GA
- Hunter Air Force Base Hospital, Savannah, GA
- Woodstock Hospital, Woodstock, GA.
Past journal editorial and peer-review duties:
- Section Editor: JFAS – Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Special Editor: JAPMA and CPMS
- Surgical Editor: Data-Trace, Inc.
- Referee JAPMA: National Stickle Award Submissions Committee
- Referee Milton S. Hershey: Annual Surgery Award Submissions Committee
- Referee JFAS: Journal Submissions Committee
Medical and surgical education literacy awards include:
- CPM Journal Gold Award: Elective Surgery and Conscious Sedation – 1980
- CPM Journal Gold Award: Elephantiasis Neuromatosis [Case Report] – 1981
- Who’s Who in Medicine – International Award: Recipient – 1985
- ASTRA PHARMACEUTICAL Surgery Gold Award: Evans Calcaneal Osteotomy Surgical Reconstruction for Pathologic Collapsing Pediatric Pes Plano Valgus Deformity – 1985
- ASTRA PHARMACEUTICAL Surgery Gold Award: Silver Calcaneal Osteotomy Surgical Reconstruction for Pathologic Collapsing Pediatric Pes Plano Valgus Deformity – 1986
- YPMS Oncology Silver Award : Selected Soft Tissue Malignancies of the Foot, Ankle and Leg – 1986
- YPMS Pediatrics: Surgical Reconstruction for Resistant Pediatric Metatarsus Adductus Deformity – 1987
- YPMJS Basic Sciences Award: Physical and Mechanical Properties of Joints – 1987
- JFAS Surgery Bronze Award: Achilles Tendon Hypercholesterolemia – 1988
- JAPMA Bronze Award: Gentamicin Impregnated PMMA Beads for Bone and Soft Tissue Infections – 1988
- Professor of the Year Award: Atlanta Hospital and Medical Center – 1989
- Doctor of the Year Award: Atlanta Hospital and Medical Center – 1990.
Medical Degree and Global Appointments:
The Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, or in Latin: Medicinae Baccalaureus, Baccalaureus Chirurgiae (abbreviated MBBS, MBChB, MBBCh, MBBChir (Cantab), BMBCh (Oxon) and BMBS, etc) are the two first professional degrees in medicine and surgery awarded upon graduation from medical school by universities in countries that follow the tradition of the United Kingdom. The equivalent medical degree, MBBS, from the Aachen-Koln Marianne University City Hospital is awarded as Doctor of Medicine (MD).
Doctoral Thesis Dissertation: Dean of Medical and Surgical Education at Marianne University City Hospital [Universitätsklinikum] in Aachen-Koln Germany: Dr. Med Kai Hinrich Olms MD MBBS; and Founding President of the Foot Surgery Foundation in Bad Schwartenau, Germany; Mit einem Geleitwort von Dieter Havemann MD PhD: Hallux valgus. Morphologie, Klinik, Operative Therapie … Published by Ullstein Mosby GmnH and Co; KG.
In 2011, Dr. Marcinko was appointed to the Physician Nexus Medical Entrepreneurs Global Advisory Board. Other formal/informal visiting global engagements include:
- Marianne University City Hospital: Visiting Surgeon, Aaken-Koln, Germany
- Antwerpen, Belium (Richtig Hand Anlagen am Fuss-Zweitagger)
- Ad-hoc University of Helsinki, Department of Orthopedics
- Ad-hoc London Clinic, Department of Orthopedics, Great Britain
- Saint Petersburg State University, Department of Orthopedics
- The Arktikum, Rovaniemi, Finland.
Grant Acquisitions: [$10 million plus; aggregate to-date]
- Intra-Mural Funding: $1,525,000.00 aggregate [Financial Services firms]
- Extra-Mural Funding: $2,750,000.00 aggregate [Pharmaceutical companies]
- Private Funding: $6,250,000.00 aggregate [Hedge funds]
Pending grant applications for 2016-17 are to the NIHCM, Thomas Jefferson University, Hearst Population Health Prize, Duke University Center for Advanced Hindsight Start-Ups and the NIH.
Thought-Leadership Media Outlets and Syndications:
Dr. Marcinko is a Google Scholar, “H” Index favorite and one of LinkedIn’s “Top Cited Voices”. He is also Emeritus Founding Publisher-in-Chief of a popular syndicated blog forum [WSJ.com, CNN.com, Forbes.com, WashingtonPost.com, BusinessWeek.com, USNews.com, Reuters.com, TimeWarnerCable.com, News Alloy.com, NewsText and Congress.org] with more than a half-million readers.
Academic I.T. Educational Futurist
Today, colleges and universities are beginning to identify students who are adept at learning online and reward the top achievers and professors. Employers, graduate and business schools are beginning to troll MOOCs [massive open online courses] seeking viable job, and academic, candidates. In fact, the nation’s graduate and B-school students were enrolled in more than 118 online programs. MOOCs offer greater access for a larger number of students, at significantly lower costs than on-site programs. By the same token, Dr. Marcinko believes technology like Blackboard®, Cernage, eXplorance, BANNER and Kalture must be used to full potential. Smart phones, PCs and tablets, videos, interactive games, AI simulators and apps with Skype®-like virtual classrooms and cloud storage are obvious embellishments to online initiatives.
A Continuing Education [CE] Pioneer
It is also increasingly imperative to expand the universe of targeted adult-learners. This is for aspiring professionals, managers, executives and leaders, or those already in the workforce. The tuition gathering universe is thus expanded beyond graduation. Dr. Marcinko developed and launched several such successful CE programs that were merged or sold to private investors, colleges and hedge funds. Also known as Executive Service Line [ESL] education, this business model refers to academic programs for adults that are generally non-credit and non-degree-granting, but may lead to professional certifications. Estimates by Business Week magazine suggest that executive education in the United States is a $900 million annual business with approximately 80 percent provided by university schools. In addition to the educational benefits, monetary dividends are reaped as enrollment eases matriculation access. Similar programs at the Wharton School, Darden, Harvard, Duke, Yale and the Goizueta Business School at Emory University charge premium rates for the implied institutional moniker.
Diversity is not a tolerance for difference but the inclusion of those who are not the majority. It should not be measured as a count or a fraction because these metrics are somehow just demeaning. Success will be when we no longer ask if we are diverse enough, because it has become the norm, not the remarkable. Accordingly, an important ruling on affirmative action and inclusion was given by the Supreme Court in 1978. Allan Bakke, a white man, was denied admission to a medical school that had admitted black candidates with weaker academic credentials. Bakke contended that he was a victim of racial discrimination. The Court ruled that Bakke had been illegally denied admission, but also that medical schools were entitled to consider race as a factor in admissions. So, ever since I came-of-age in Baltimore, Maryland under this decision, I have been an advocate of women, the handicapped and minorities. For example, as Department Chair and Residency Director at a local hospital, I was credited with accepting the first women, LGBT and African American interns and residents into our post-graduate education and surgical fellowship training program.
Dr. David Edward Marcinko may collaborate with the pharmaceutical, financial services, publishing, education, medical device or other industries to offer his consulting expertise. He strives to make advances that benefit patients, students, scholars, colleges, universities and clients; and to support outside relationships that benefit the public. In order to benefit the public, these services must often be commercialized with industry. As experts in their fields, he and other members of the Institute of Medical Business Advisors, Inc., are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and/or educational input. To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, iMBA Inc maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry.
For example, iMBA Inc., will disclose when (i) our physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its’ members serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its’ members receive or have the right to receive royalties or; (iv) its’ members hold any equity interest for their role as inventor, journalist, founder or consultant. In disclosing this information, iMBA Inc tries to provide relevant information about connections with industry.
As of 10/01/2016, Dr. David E. Marcinko has reported financial relationships with the companies listed below. He receives, or has the right to receive, royalty payments for various Copyrights©, Trade Marks™, Register Marks®, Service MarksSM, text books, hand books, white-papers, grants, inventions, webinars, AV presentations, CD-ROMs or software commercialized through the companies or entities shown below:
- Saunders, New York
- Harcourt-Brace, Illinois
- Elsevier, New York
- Data-Trace, Maryland
- John Wiley & Sons, New York
- iMBA, Inc., OR iMBA, Inc., Press GA
- FARC, Inc., OR FARC, Inc., Press GA
- Medical Executive Post®, Press GA
- Certified Medical Planner®, Press GA
- Medical Business Advisors, Inc., GA
- Health Dictionary Series®, Press GA
- Taylor and Francis Group, FLA
- Springer Publishing, New York
- Productivity Press, New York
- CRC Press, Boca Raton, FLA
- Jones & Bartlett Learning, MA
- Standard Technical Publishers, BC
- David E. Marcinko OR David E. Marcinko PC
- David Edward Marcinko OR David Edward Marcinko PC
- Anadem Press, Ohio
- Lippincott, Philadelphia, PA
- Williams & Wilkins Publishing, Maryland
Code of Ethics
Dr. David Edward Marcinko subscribes to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
David Edward Marcinko
CV, Executive Summary, R&D and Curriculum Development:
- MARCINKO Research Statement
- Curriculum Development MARCINKO
Philosophy and References:
- Dr. Marcinko Teaching Philosophy
- Chair 3.0 Philosophy Dr. Marcinko
- Dr. Marcinko Leadership Philosophy
- References Dr. Marcinko
Major Peer-Reviewed Publications:
- Google Scholar Publications Search
- National Institute of Health Publications – Part I
- National Institute of Health Publications– Part II
Recent Text Book Offerings:
- Business of Medical Practice [Transformational Health 2.0 Skills for Doctors]
- Comprehensive Financial Planning Strategies for Doctors and Advisors [Best Practices from Leading Certified Medical Planners™]
- Financial Management Strategies for Hospitals [Tools, Techniques, Checklists and Case Studies]
- Financial Planning Handbook For Physicians and Advisors
- Hospitals & Healthcare Organizations [Management Strategies, Operational Techniques, Tools, Templates, and Case Studies]
- Insurance and Risk Management Strategies for Physicians and Advisors
- Risk Management, Liability Insurance, and Asset Protection Strategies for Doctor and Advisors [Best Practices from Leading Consultants and Certified Medical Planners™]
Case Models and CD-ROM Offerings:
- eMRs, HIT and Security [Checklists & Case Models]
- Medical Office Checklists [Checklists & Case Models]
- Practice Case Examples [Checklists & Case Models]
Online Health Dictionary Series® WIKI Project:
Print Dictionary Handbook Offerings:
- Dictionary of Health Economics and Finance
- Dictionary of Health Information Technology and Security
- Dictionary of Health Insurance and Managed Care
Academic CXO and Dean of Online Education:
Pending Foundation Grant Applications:
Personal LinkedIn Thoughts:
Syndicated Blog Forum Publisher-in-Chief:
Professional Speaker’s Bureau:
- Dr. David E. Marcinko MBA CMP™ [Publisher-in-Chief]
- Hear Dr. David E. Marcinko
- Dr. Marcinko and Video on Hedge Fund Manager Michael Burry MD
- Medical News of Arkansas Interviews Dr. Marcinko
- Brian Kelly [KMOX News-Radio] Interviews Dr. Marcinko on Hospital Merger
- “Healthcare Finance News” interviews Dr. DE Marcinko [ME-P Editor-in-Chief]
© Content copyrighted 2016-17. All rights reserved, USA.